Thursday, November 3, 2011

Play Structure Update

Almost every weekend Alex will ask to work on the fort. It was quite hot for some time so i didnt get to much done. I also started to work slower so he could have more things to help me with. Here is where i am at so far:

I decided to wire it for power. Alex has always loved to plug things in. I bought 3outlets, 2 switches, and 25ft of romex. There is an outlet under the flooring to run an extension cord to the house. That way i can control the power. I wired each outlet to a separate switch and put each outlet on either side of the slide. Then covered the wires with a thin sheet of plywood and drywall.


I decided to build a door. I was going to have it swing out but it would hit the slide. So I bought some 2x4s, 2x6s, and a 2x3(didnt know they made them)


I was short one piece of wood to finish my Z, so I used some scrap to hold it together.

Here is the door completed and stained a black cherry.


Lowes sells gate hinges that look older. I wanted it to look like a tavern door or an old castle door. I found a handle that matched and added a latch to lock it.


I made the windows out of .25 inch plexiglass. I still have to add the latch on the left side. The 2 ft by 4 ft window folds completely flat against the siding. It will easily be out of the way when the swings are added. There is also another small window to the right of the ladder. The boys like hanging out in there while its raining.

I am not a MSU fan. My plan was to paint the whole thing a darker green. When i went through and primed it i had to use a brush to fill in the recessed lines. To get an idea of what the green would look like i decided to quickly use a roller and paint it. i was going to fill in the lines with a brush later but decided it looked pretty cool. I also have begun staining the whole thing the same color as the door. The inside is fully drywalled, including the ceiling. I also caulked all the edges of the drywall so no bugs can hide.

No comments: