Sunday, January 29, 2012

Music Together

We are currently enrolled in our fifth semester of Music Together and love it more each semester. I first found out about Music Together through Washtenaw County's First Steps program. I knew it must be good since that was the only class they had to hold a lottery for. I went to a demo class through a privately owned company, with Robin Robinson (I don't think this is her real name) and loved it. It was cheaper to go through First Steps and we were already participating in that program, so I enrolled and won. When we got to the class I was disappointed, it was nothing like the one Robin did (well same songs, but that was about it).

So, the next semester and I paid the extra money for Robin's class. Currently, just Luke and I go on Fridays while Alex is at school. Alex got bored of it last year. But Luke LOVES it. It's a great program. The class typically runs 10-12 weeks and it's based around a musical collection of 25 songs (bells, bongos, fiddle, etc.) The hello song and good bye song always remain the same though and so does the layout of the class. It starts with the hello song and incorporates playing percussion instruments, free dancing, dancing with the rhythm of the songs, rolling balls to rhythm, scarves, etc. I really like the songs, in that they are simple and fun. I feel like they are really great to build understanding of language and rhythm. You can use them with any age. The class is followed by a "lullaby song" (always 2-3 as part of the collection) and then the goodbye song. At the end the kids can strum her guitar which is super exciting for the kids. The kids get 2 copies of the CD to keep at home and the car to learn the songs so they are familiar with them and help to increase participation for the kids and parents. Learning the songs so well, helps build singing into everyday. Many of them can be used to sing while you are doing something the child does like (Eating my broccoli and I don't care, eating my broccoli and I don't care, I'm going to play today, song to jimmy cracked corn). Actually many of the songs are familiar songs, but the lyrics are changed to make more sense to kids. I find learning these song especially useful because I can build into my therapy sessions at work too:)

Below are pictures from Robin's website. I have never seen parents taking pictures during the class, so I feel strange being the first... She may have a rule against it?






No comments: