Monday, July 27, 2009

Alex is 17 Months!

I decided to take some time to update on Alex's milestones, since they are so easily forgotten. I have been attempting to scrapbook December and January and just can't really picture what he was like then. Well, at least not as clearly as would like to.

It is amazing how his agility in walking has improved. He just learned to walk three months ago and is easily able to stop, squat to pick something up and keep on going or throw a ball and duck out of the way. However, watching people or something is still pretty tricky while walking. Still has to keep the focus in front of him. He is starting to get a little more daring with stoops and steps. He attempted Tuesday to hold my hand and the railing while he walked down the steps, but got pooped out after three steps. They are up to his mid thigh, not sure if I could do that?

He is definitely in a phase of pushing the limits to see what he can and can not get away with. He does something he knows is wrong and looks at you to make sure he will get a consistent reaction. Time to hold fast, no matter how exhausting it is. How many times can you tell him not to throw things and not to spill his juice, etc. I just put a chair in front of the stereo because I just could not bare to tell him one more time not to touch it.

Oh, a big feat that has been overcome...he has finally learned to go sleep on his own. After many, many nights of crying it out, he just went to sleep. I put him down, walked out of his room, down the stairs, turned on the monitor and thought it was broken. He wasn't crying! Went up stairs minutes later and he was asleep! Just like that he finally decided it was much easier to get cozy and just fall asleep. Whew! What a lesson. It's so strange too that he is now sleeping twelve hours at night and takes a two or three hour nap. He has never slept that much in his entire life. Even as a newborn he would sleep ten to twelve hours total throughout the day. Not sure if it has something to do with all the activities we have been doing, he is just so much more active now that he can run around and explore, or it has to do with me always being home and he is more relaxed? Either way, I am loving it.

Alex still continues to eat really well. He has found a new favorite; cherries, blueberries and nectarines. We have to go very quickly past them in the grocery store and distract him or else there is a short fit. I think the boy eats as much as me! Hehe, but I eat a lot more sweets that he has no idea what they are. I think its pretty funny that I can eat chocolate right in front of him without a care from him, but he freaks out in the grocery store when we pass by the fruit. Luckily, they don't keep fruit in the check-out lanes! He still refuses to feed himself. He definitely can do it, but just refuses. It all goes on the floor. I suppose one day he will decide that is for babies. I just keep offering it to him, it will probably be just like the falling asleep on his own. Although, I think I am going to overlook feeding himself with his fingers and just begin teaching him to use utensils. He may have a different perspective on that.

We have been keeping busy this summer while I have been off going to various places. He goes to a class for one year olds once a week for an hour. We also have been going to play groups at the library where they do similar stuff, but its free. By the pictures we have posted, you have seen the other fun things we have been up to. It seems that he does not enjoy water play, but loves the sandbox. He also likes to walk around and explore things outside. The botanical gardens have proved to be a great place for this. I think he could be there for hours. I was surprised how he didn't try to pick the flowers or throw the rocks this past visit.

Still not saying too much in the form of words, but definitely knows what he wants and expresses it in other ways. He is also excellent at completing tasks you ask him to do. I was amazed today when we were picking up his crayons today and I said "Alex the orange crayon is in the drawer (I pointed) get it out and put it in the box". And he did. Or I was sitting on the floor and I said "Let's feed the kitties, go get Tessie's plate and bring it here" And he did. He definitely has an all or nothing personality. So, I can see him waiting until he feels he has it mastered and then just talk in sentences and skip the "baby words". We will see. I think that is part of the feeding struggle too. Skip that baby stuff of making a mess while I eat and I will do it when I feel like I can do it with perfection. Sadly, I think he got that from me.

Some other fun things...He has learned to do the first part of a somersault, but needs a boost over. He has become an improved dancer and will sway, bounce up and down, prance around and twirl himself (I still need to get that on video!) He just learned to give kisses the past couple of days. It's really funny to watch what he gives kisses to. He really likes to be sung to and will sing "da, da, da" in a tune or beat his hand in a rhythm to request a song. He also learned to clap, pat, clap, pat a rhythm. He has been taking off his shoes and socks by himself for awhile now, but is now attempting to put on his socks and shoes. He is also beginning to point to certain parts of his body when asked. Building is still his favorite pastime (maybe a tie with reading). He is now sitting down on his own, taking out his blocks and constructing a tower. It's so funny to watch him from distance build it up, then rearrange it, and move the bottom piece while three balance on top of it. He will now bring books up to you and plop in your lap to make himself comfortable while you read. I'm pretty sure he would let you read to him all day long. That is why trips to the library are necessary. I can only read a book so many times. I have his ten favorite books memorized. It works well in the car when he gets antsy. I can recite them and he sits there quietly and listens.

Well, I think that about captures the moment. Can't wait to see what the next couple of months bring. One of the joys of having a child this age, everyday there is something new. Or is that every age and we just don't notice?

No comments: